Wednesday, June 1, 2011

breaking the silence

I've sat down to write so many times and then walked away.

I've swirled thoughts in my head and streams of emotions, but I've had a hard time processing.  Maybe it's that there is something about writing that makes it more real and when I write I have to look at my life square in the face and acknowledge it as it is.



MS.  Two months ago my neurologist found a lesion on my brain during a follow up from an episode I had in the fall {when I lost sensation in my legs}.  It was the missing piece for a specific diagnosis. I had paralysis and abnormalities in my spinal fluid, and now I'm showing inflammation in my brain.  Multiple Sclerosis. It wasn't a surprise, but still a shock.  I've researched the first steps and have a treatment plan in place, but the hardest part is not wondering about all of the what if's? .

And then I got the results back from another round of tests and my intestines show Celiac disease.  I've been eating gluten free for a number of months, but now I have to be even more diligent.

One day at a time. That's all I can write for now.

6 comments:

  1. good to hear that you now know what it is. not great what it is. praying for you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this Dawn. I'll be following your blog - we are gluten free too (son is diagnosed as a celiac, I am probably celiac and the auto immune disorders I have stem from that!) My cousin has MS and Celiac as well. There are more and more people realizing that gluten can be toxic... I hope you are able to find lots of support as you walk through this, because you are absolutely not alone! If you are ever looking for recipes, or restaurants etc. as a celiac, I have found a way to make just about anything! Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dawn...thank you for sharing. i know how hard it is to write out (and relive) those moments that cause us great pain. bless you! ~jeffchan

    on a side note: a great gluten free recipe for you!

    Parmesan Potatoes

    6 large potatoes peeled and quartered
    1/4 Cup corn flour
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/3 cup melted butter
    chopped or dried parsley (optional)

    - Preheat oven to 375 F
    - Spread butter along the bottom of 9x13 inch baking dish/pan
    - Combine all dry ingredients except butter in a medium or large ziploc bag
    - Coat potatoes with a little milk and drop a few at a time into the dry ingredients and shake (like shake and bake, but with potatoes)
    - Place potatoes in pan/dish without piling potatoes on top of each other
    - Bake for 1hr until golden brown and yummy!!!

    If you give it a try, I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May a peace that surpasses understanding guard your heart. You have it absolutely right. One day at a time. Praying with you! K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh babe. Good thing you're strong!

    ReplyDelete