So, I'm finally putting some tricks in my pocket when it comes to gluten free living. I'm starting to have more successes than failures, which feels GOOD!
Gluten free living can be fun with my kids:
Not only are our kitchen cupboards now gluten free, so is our play cupboard... Hello Gluten Free Play Dough! I stumbled on this recipe by accident. I admit it, I was skeptical. But, it worked! Here's a shot of us today with our first batch. Little Miss E picked her favorite color PINK for our inaugural dough making.
Bigger isn't always better:
My recipes are all turning out better in mini form. My latest idea was to take my bread loaf recipe and make it into "muffin buns". The texture is perfect and they are just the right size for lunch sandwiches. I even made them for a picnic last weekend - pulled them out of the oven and carried them to the picnic in the muffin tin. It is good to eat something that tastes like real bread again.
Pumping up with veggies:
I want to help my family eat healthy. We serve all sorts of veggies prepared in many different ways. Some days I have way too much of some lonely vegetables left in my fridge, and on those days I turn them into something a little more creative! Check out this delicious recipe for chocolate zucchini muffins. In my version, I use sorghum flour, honey instead of the sugar, egg replacer, and apple sauce substitutes. Ta-Dah!
On-line shopping is becoming a life saver:
It's not always easy to find products that are celiac friendly (as well as the bazillion other allergies we have). So, I've started to look to the web for help and I've been pleasantly surprised with what I can access in Canada. I'm still eating food from my latest order at Gluten Free Grocery and found The Specialty Food Shop (where I'm ordering some chocolate chips - more on this later) that gives it's proceeds to support research, patient care, and initiatives at SickKids hospital.
Life is feeling normal again!



No comments:
Post a Comment