Homemaking is about making a home, not about making perfection...an authentic, creative, animated space where Peace and Beauty are embraced and where perfect does not equate to immaculate. (paraphrased from 10+ Real Helps for Really Busy Moms. Find it here)
I set aside my agenda today. My children needed some focused time snuggling, sleeping, resting. I felt my to do list pulling at me during the day, and with much discipline I said no to what I wanted to get done, and yes to what needed to be done. My dishes are piled in the sink (and on the counter, and on the stove, and on...). Month 3 with a broken dishwasher is breaking me down! (okay, I admit this is definitely a first world problem, but I REALLY miss my dishwasher). There are still boxes to unpack from our move this summer, and a pile of office work to catch up on, my hobby projects that are collecting dust, I could go on. But at the end of the day, even though it is unsightly to look at the mess (and know it awaits me another day) I feel rest in my heart for my choices.
I'm redefining what I dreamed would be the "perfect" life - everything clean, tidy, tied in a bow, and embracing the messiness, the imperfections of the moments that are my REAL life.
No comments:
Post a Comment