Thursday, November 29, 2012

I experienced a miracle

Somehow writing gets pushed to the bottom of my momma-do list. (ah! where does the time go?!?)

My silence here is in fact a really great thing - my heart and my life have been abundantly full these last months! I'm learning what really brings light in my life and I'm getting into a good groove again.  (I find at various points in my life, I've needed to adjust and re-learn this again, and again, and again)
My health has been awesome!  which has given more freedom to push and see where my good limits are. 

A friend asked me this week, what has made the most difference in my health - There are a number of things: exercise, nutrition, doing things that give purpose and meaning and satisfaction, and the biggest part, I think, is paying close attention to the spiritual side of my life.  Trusting God to help me heal and having others praying with me and journeying through all of this with me. When faced with incredible difficulty, I need an anchor - something that is immovable, and outside of myself, something I can cling to when all else crumbles. And, something that keeps pointing me to joy and thankfulness when life is "good".

This summer, I experienced a miracle.  When I was diagnosed with MS 20 months ago, I showed a lesion on my brain and on my spine.  I was told to expect that the lesions would always show on my MRI, that the nerves might heal, but the scarring would always be there.  And, that it was normal to expect to have a few episodes a year.  I was so nervous to get the results from my yearly MRI this summer.  I try to hope for the best, but prepare myself for the worst.  "If there are just a few spots, I'll be okay.  If there are more, what will I do?"  Sitting in a waiting room, with thoughts swirling, knowing that the information could change my life again.  I did wait for a long time (my results were lost initially!! panic!!).  So, I left without knowing.  They did find my MRI and the Dr. arranged to review the results with me over the phone.

"I'm going to read the report to you..."  I made him repeat it a few times to be sure I was hearing right.  "You have no new lesions.  There has been no progression of the disease.  The lesion on your brain has decreased significantly and is showing signs of healing".  Medically, there is no explanation for this.  The medication I take does not prevent episodes & lesions.   The medication I take cannot heal or shrink the scarring that is there. 

I don't have all the answers ~even with the faith I live out.  I don't know the why or how.  But I do know that I experience something deep inside.  Something strong enough to heal my body.  Someone strong enough to give me hope. 

Walking my daughter to her first day of school


I'd love to hear from you:
-Have you ever experienced a miracle?
-If you could experience a miracle in your life, what would it be?



4 comments:

  1. Yay! This makes me so happy Dawn!

    ... living each day with my husband and healthy children seems like a miracle to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Dawn. I'm so so thrilled to hear this. :) I've been praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashley, Vanessa, and Christa!

    ReplyDelete