Thursday, May 24, 2012

Off the bookshelf

Some books I've pulled off the bookshelf since the start of the year: I'll write a little blurb about my favorites.  Ask me about them if you are curious... or pick one up and read it:)


Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish

Really helpful in understanding sibling dynamics.  And not just theory, great examples of ways to help siblings understand and communicate with each other.  It is an oldie, but worth the read!

Siblings Without Rivalry

The Hunger Games Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking in a Gluten-Free KitchenClean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes Catching Fire (Library Edition) 
Mockingjay: Large Print Edition The Help 


The 5 Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman & Ross Campbell

So normally I avoid what I call "chain books" (take a book and re-publish it for every possible category you can think of: your mother, dog, friend, kids, etc.) so I was skeptical.  Having read Chapman's original "The 5 Love Languages", I wasn't sure it would offer anything different.  But, the chapters in this book are designed to be relevant to kids - and the examples I found to be super helpful. It has given us some great ideas on how to practically love each member of our family!

FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES OF CHILDREN 

15 Minutes Outside by Rebecca P. Cohen

I'm not a natural outdoors person.  I struggle to spend time outside, but realize how important it is - especially for my kids.  And usually once I get outside, I enjoy it.  So breaking outside time into smaller chunks is helpful for me.  Packed full of ideas and activities for each of the four seasons, this book jolted my desire to get outside! 
Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out Of the House and Connect With Your Kids


Hold on to Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate

Youth culture in North America is becoming increasingly sexualized and hostile.  Family cohesion is becoming uncommon and youth (and adults) are stunted emotionally.  Our children increasing look to their peers for direction - where being cool matters more than anything else. Neufeld and Mate lay out a strong case for why this is destroying our families and what we can do as parents to regain contact, security, warmth, and relationship with our children.

Hold On To Your Kids: Why Parents Need To Matter More Than Peers

 

No comments:

Post a Comment