Thursday, October 28, 2010

On the Road to Healing

I watched outside today as the golden maple leaves from our neighborhood danced down the sidewalk.  The rhythm of the season (fall here, and winter coming) means more to me this year.

This fall we've made some big decisions to maintain a heart and a lifestyle of rest. For the first time in a very long time we've said no to some of our commitments and yes to a more simplified life. 


We've felt compelled that part of our healing physically (My husband's challenges with Crohn's disease, anemia, and hypothyrodism and the nerve issues I had in September) is to be aware of how we nourish our bodies.  So some big changes are in the wind with our diet as well.  At this point, when we eat at home (some flexibility because we travel so much) we are dairy, soy, egg, and gluten free (plus odds and ends foods that we are allergic to or sensitive to).  Extensive!!  So, I've added a new page on my blog with our successes for recipes :) (Click on "Awaken Your Tastebuds" or back to "Home" to return to this page.)
The barn at Whole Circle Farm

A few weeks ago, we took our kids to visit a bio-dynamic organic farm.  As we walked along the garden plots, they were filled with vegetables. Long rows of green plants with branches raised towards the sunlight (and in our case, the rain that was misting down).  At the end of the garden was a plot with no plants, just dirt.  This plot was in a season of rest. Purposeful rest.  At the farm, the plots are rotated so that the soil has a season to rejuvenate.  This keeps the ground fertile and the plants healthy.

We are like that plot, in a season of rejuvenating. I am thankful for this season of rest.  In a lot of ways it hasn't come by choice, which isn't easy,  but I am becoming more and more convinced that it is just what we need.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dawn,
    I got tested for Celiac on Monday when I went in for my colonoscopy (I'll find out what the results were when I see my doctor in December). Food is so tricky. I find with my Crohn's it seems like everything irritates me: fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, wheat, sugar, dairy, etc. There was a while where I was just relying a lot on rice and fish.
    Rest is so important though. I find I've been saying no to things because my body needs rest to deal with Crohn's.
    Looking forward to following your blog,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete