The newest addition to my gluten free cupboard...... TEFF!
Teff is a grain native of Northern Ethiopia. It is gluten free and contains high levels of calcium, iron, and fiber.
Chocolate Chip Banana Teff Bread -adapted recipe from "The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook"
1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1 cup teff flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1 cup rice milk
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (Because I had different loaf/muffin tins in at the same time I tried 350 with convection). Lightly oil 4 mini-loaf pans or 1 mini muffin pan. I used coconut oil.
In a large bowl combine flours, tapioca, sugar, gum, soda, powder, and sea salt. Mix well
Mash bananas in a 4 cup glass measuring cup. Add milk to the bananas and whisk together with the oil and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix together. Do not over mix. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Spoon batter into oiled pans. Bake for 30-35 min for loafs or 20-25 min for muffins (10 min less time if using convection). Loosen sides with a knife and gently take out of pans and place onto wire rack to cool.
P.S. I made this recipe in mini loaf pans and also some mini-muffins. (The mini muffins were the best.) And as always make sure your ingredients are gluten free!
We've been liking teff lately too. I used it in pancakes the other day & it worked out really well. I'm going to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing ;)
ReplyDeleteWhere do you buy your teff flour from, Rachel? I've only been able to find tiny bags but I think I'm going to use it more often so it'd be great to find it in bulk.
ReplyDelete