Friday, March 4, 2011

Teaching my son how to love a woman

"Mommy, can I buy you flowers for Valentine's day today?"
"That's thoughtful.  Sure, you can pick any ones you want."

He trotted off down the line of flowers looking for the ones that were just right. Around he turned and back he came with not one, but two sets of flowers.

"Mommy, these are for you.  And, these are for my sister.  She needed some too."


Melt my heart!


I hadn't given much thought to this, but as I've admired my bouquet each morning at breakfast I've realized that I want to be intentional about teaching and modeling to him how to respect a woman (a big part of this is modeled by his daddy, and a little help from mommy's perspective is good too :) ).


I want to teach my son how to show the special people in his life that they are special.  I hope that someday he will experience the joy of loving a woman and that he will know how to express his feelings to her in many ways - words and actions.

So, it starts at home with loving his sister and me - and I hope the way he learns to love will carry through to the other relationships in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment